I want to share this wonderful recipe I found, added to, tweaked, and perfected until I finally came to this end result. I’m not exactly sure on the calorie and nutritional content after all of these changes, but the ingredients themselves are what makes it such a great snack.
There are many various recipes for this same bite sized snack, so I encourage you to also make it your own! Take out what you don’t like, add in some of your favorite ingredients. Also substitute what works for your family! I’ve added a few suggestions for how to tweak it your way.
These take about 15-20 minutes to make, with an additional 30 minutes in the refrigerator to chill.
So here it is…
No Bake Energy Bites – with a twist!
Makes about 30 1-inch bites.
- 1 cup dry oatmeal (we use old-fashioned oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (try sunflower butter, other nut butters)
- 1/4 cup Nutella – had to add this in, one of my favorites!
- 1/2 ground flax seeds (flax seed meal)
- 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips (try dark chocolate, organic, vegan; or peanut butter, butterscotch chips)
- 1/4 cup agave (honey works great as well!)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (adds more texture, but not for everyone)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fruit bites, coconut flakes (optional, I personally don’t like the texture but this adds nutritional value)
- Grab a medium bowl and stir all ingredients together until well mixed.
- Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Store in air tight container, place parchment paper between layers if needed.
These keep for about a week in a cool, dry place.
Let me know how yours turn out and what you added! I find these extremely easy for an on-the-go snack.